CISS Bilingual Intake Coordinator
Initial point of contact for families and clients requesting services and has the responsibility of coordinating all aspects of intake for the inclusion of children with special needs in licensed child care centres throughout the city of Ottawa.
- To perform duties in accordance with the mission statement and core values ofAFCS & the mandate of CISS
Duties will include but not be limited to:
- Develops and maintains the referral and waitlists for all CISS supports.
- Acts as the first point of contact for prospective clients (families) and communitypartners (child care programs).
- Communicates with current and prospective client families; oversees intake andcoordination of supports through initial response to referrals and identificationof eligibility; assists in identifying appropriate community and/or professionalsupports; identifies needs and supports families in understanding how ourservice works within the continuum of other services, acts as a resource tofamilies, makes recommendations to Director regarding support needs.
- Receives enhanced staff support applications; reviews application, collaborateswith child care program and/or Resource Consultant, confirms/verifiesinformation, establishes eligibility of application, maintains/updates waiting list.
- Participates in ongoing CISS program planning; identifies community supportneeds to Director and liaises with community partners.
- Participates on CISS team; updates Director regularly and promotes understanding of the CISS supports in the child care community.
- Maintains up to date computer knowledge and knowledge of current practices/information for children with special needs and the broader child care field.
- Respects confidentiality; relates to parents, children and other staff members in a professional and ethical manner.
- Other duties as may be assigned by the Program Director.
- RECE, Diploma in Early Childhood Education or Equivalent plus specialized diploma/ certificate (Resource Teacher Certificate, Early Interventionist or Equivalent)
- Minimum of 5 years of experience working with children and families including 3 years of experience working with children with special needs
- Extensive knowledge of resources for children with special needs
- Knowledge of word processing, data management, electronic mail and other computer skills compatible with what is current in the software industry as well as what is being used at AFCS.
- Fluency in both official languages, written and verbal
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to work in a multi-disciplinary team
- Demonstrated sensitivity to families, their concerns and cultural differences.