The role of the Program Assistant (PA) is to assist the teaching team in supporting a child(ren) with special needs who is/are attending a licensed child care program. It is intended to enhance the child/staff ratio. The PA is an additional support to the GROUP and is not to be included as part of the ratio.
- To perform duties in accordance with the mission statement and core values of AFCS and the mandateof Group Child Care Program.
- To support and assist the ECEs in supporting a child(ren) with special needs who is/are attending alicensed child care program.
Duties will include but not be limited to:
- Supports and makes a commitment to the principles of inclusion.
- Is familiar with the activities, routines, philosophy, policies and procedures of the child careprogram.
- Recognizes the need for the child(ren) to interact with all children and staff in the child careprogram.
- Assists in providing optimal opportunities for the child(ren) to fully participate in all activities.
- Facilitates and engages other children in activities in order to create opportunities for peerinteractions.
- Participates in discussions with the teaching team and the Resource Consultant when appropriate.
- Participates in staff meetings and training opportunities as required and approved by the Resource Consultant.
- Responds to daily direction given by the Educator and/or Supervisor.
- Implements program activities and recommended strategies including those outlined in the Team Service Plan in partnership with the teaching team.
- Maintains good working relations with the teaching staff to ensure effective communication and team work.
- Maintains confidentiality at all times.
- Clear Police Record Check (Vulnerable sector) completed in the last 6 months
- Valid Standard First Aid and CPR certification
- Experience working with children who have special needs
- Skills and knowledge in behaviour guidance would be an asset
- An additional language would be an asset